Alma

as I skipped wholeheartedly down the snow packed alleyway I noticed a board, it was black but the writing upon it took up most of its charred look and instead, almost painted it white. after staring at the chalk board for some time, I realized that the scribbles and mess was… names. excitedly, I took the chalk and wrote my name, Alma… the chalk board groaned and screeched but, some thing else sounded over the noise… I froze, and slowly turned to see a face. a wooden nose stuck out from underneath the square eyes and the mouth was as if it were a wolf with gaping jaws and vampire teeth. but there was something else half seen half… swallowed. I ran to the window and rubbed the fog off of it. then I saw it, a doll or my reflection? I looked around slowly and suddenly it was gone! the doll was gone! I wanted it I needed it, I walked timidly over to the door and pulled the handle, but… nothing moved, the door didn’t open. angrily I took a hand-full of cold, wet snow and shoved it against the the glass and silver handle, I trudged away scraping my hand across the wall as I walked. suddenly a creek sounded through the cold silence, I smiled turned around and walked back to the little shop the door had opened!

I stepped towards a table were my doll stood and leaned closer about to take it but a rattling sound broke my motion. I looked down to see, lying on the ground, a little doll on a battered grey tricycle his legs were moving but the bike had no motion. I bent down and stood him up his little wheels barely touching the ground. and then he was off away to the door which was creepily closing behind me. I smiled and turned to the my doll, but… where was it? I looked around and saw her standing on a rugged looking shelf. I climbed on top of the dull green sofa that was just in-front of the shelf where my doll was stood, I stretched out for her but couldn’t quite reach. Taking of my glove with my teeth I reached a little further, this time I touched her, but it wasn’t happiness that filled my bones but, instead a cold shiver started from my toes and ran all the way up my spine. my eyes met her eyes my body was taken, now I realized why that cyclist was trying to get out. I was trapped inside a body that wasn’t my own. Alma wasn’t a girl any more she… was a doll.

The End